Communication failure error in non-IE browser

Communication failure error in non-IE browser

I've experienced this issue when working with non-IE browsers.
    My application needs to save the state of the page, so I register my logic in "WindowUnload" even. Literally, all I do is to make a call to the server side:
    Ext.net.DirectMethods.MyCleanUpDirectMethod()
    This code works perfectly fine in IE, but for Firefox and Chrome, it immediately throw an "Communication Error". I have an impression that the browser doesn't even try to communicate to server. When I try to resend the request using Firebug, it works as expected.
    I tried to Google around and ended up to this thread EXT.Net "communication failure" window popping up in non-IE browsers
    The symptom is alike and I hopefully think that they have the same root cause. But how can I set the time-out for DirectMethod programatically in JavaScript code?
    Hi,

WindowUnload means that a page is destroyed.

IE:

A browser makes a DirectMethod request, then a page is getting a response from server. Then a page is destroyed.

FireFox, Chrome:

A browser makes a DirectMethod request and a page is destroyed. Then a page is destroyed and nobody can't take a response - a communication error.

The difference in the behaviors might be due to the possibility that IE slowly unloads/destroys a page.

Anyways, I think your scenario can be broken in IE as well.

So, DirectMethods cannot be used within WindowUnload.
    Thank you for the answer. In this case, can you suggest a solution to hook up the cleanup event? Can we ignore the response somehow? I only need to perform the call to save the config to database, no need for any response
    I would try to make a synchronized AJAX request. Please investigate the following threads:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...e-ajax-request
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/2...-event-handler
    Last edited by Daniil; Apr 28, 2012 at 7:11 AM.