[CLOSED] Supported browsers prompt message

[CLOSED] Supported browsers prompt message

I just want to use existing if any or create functionality to prompt user about not supported browsers. Basically our application depend only on Ext.Net in this case, so it would be nice if ext.net have this option integrated. Also we want to prompt user to exit compatibility IE mode if it turned on.
    Last edited by Daniil; Feb 03, 2012 at 6:45 PM. Reason: [CLOSED]
    Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by bakardi View Post
    I just want to use existing if any or create functionality to prompt user about not supported browsers. Basically our application depend only on Ext.Net in this case, so it would be nice if ext.net have this option integrated.
    Well, ExtJS supports all major browsers. So, I don't think it would be a useful feature.

Also we want to prompt user to exit compatibility IE mode if it turned on.
    Again, you are the first who asks about such feature. It should not be a problem to implement it in your application.

You could set up a ResourceManager's DocumentReady listener with the code to detect a compatibility mode and warn if it needs.

How to detect a compatibility mode, please investigate:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...8VS.85%29.aspx
    Well, ExtJS supports all major browsers. So, I don't think it would be a useful feature.
    'major browsers' but not all of them. Also there is many versions of browsers. It will be easy to integrate to Ext.Net for example Ext.IsSupported instead of each developer should find list of supported browsers on ext.net site and then depending on this write code. Also different version of ExtJS support different version of browsers. Right?

I trying to google 'extjs supported browsers' and didn't find official answer. For example do you support IE7, Safari, Opera, Safari mobile, webkit engine?

Again, you are the first who asks about such feature. It should not be a problem to implement it in your application.
    It doesn't say that I will be last.
    Please see the Browser Compatibility at the bottom on the right.
    http://www.sencha.com/products/extjs3/

Also different version of ExtJS support different version of browsers. Right?
    Generally speaking, yes. But it's changed between major releases only, like ExtJS 2 and ExtJS 3, ExtJS 3 and ExtJS 4. And, respectively, between major Ext.NET releases, like Coolite 0.8 and Ext.NET v1, Ext.NET v1 and Ext.NET v2 (according to ExtJS version which we are based on).

It doesn't say that I will be last.
    Sure, we've sticked it and will consider.
    It will be easy to integrate to Ext.Net for example Ext.IsSupport....
    This is not a straightforward as it first might appear. The current list of supported desktop web browsers covers a huge percentage of what users/clients would be accessing Ext.NET with. Probably 95%, maybe higher. The list of supported browsers is so high that it actually rarely comes up as an issue.

There are defects discovered specific to individual browser versions (usually IE7 & 8), but they're still supported.

By testing for .IsSupported we run the risk of excluding something that might be supported, especially new browser releases. We would mostly just test for simple things like IE5.5 or older, older versions of Firefox, Safari and like. The counter to that technique is that those browsers represent a minuscule portion of what's being used, that extra .js required does not offset the benefit.

There is an argument to be made for testing for "Compatibility Mode", so I'll think about that. There's also a case to be made for testing if the user-agent is a mobile browser, although I'm reluctant to include this.

For example do you support IE7, Safari, Opera, Safari mobile, webkit engine
    IE6 to IE10 = yes, but not "Compatibility Mode"
    Safari = yes
    Opera = yes
    webkit engine = yes
    Firefox = yes
    Safari mobile = mostly, but some drag/drop and scrolling functionality is still a problem. Combination of defects in Safari and not supported features of Ext JS. We're hoping to have these fixed shortly after the v2 release, probably v2.1.

We'll make this list more prominent on the http://www.ext.net/ website.

Hope this help.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
    We'll make this list more prominent on the http://www.ext.net website.
    Done:
    http://ext.net/download/#version