Dynamically adding Controls to WebUserControl

Dynamically adding Controls to WebUserControl

Hello,
    I created a Web User Control (called 'CTL_Worklist'), in which I statically add an ext:Panel.
    No I try to add a LinkButton to the content of that ext:Panel.
    I call Panel.UpdateContent() and the LinkButton is corrctly displayed in the Panel.
    I also added a DirectEvent with a Url to another aspx site to the LinkButton.
    So far so good.

But now I try to click on that LinkButton (called 'Btn1') and I get the following strange Error:
    'The control with ID 'CTL_Worklist_Btn1' not found'

The stacktrace is:
    [HttpException (0x80004005): The control with ID 'CTL_Worklist_Btn1' not found]
       Ext.Net.ResourceManager.RaisePostBackEvent(String eventArgument) +2102
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(IPostBackEventHandler sourceControl, String eventArgument) +13
       System.Web.UI.Page.RaisePostBackEvent(NameValueCollection postData) +176
       System.Web.UI.Page.ProcessRequestMain(Boolean includeStagesBeforeAsyncPoint, Boolean includeStagesAfterAsyncPoint) +5563

Am I missing something or what am I doing wrong here?
    Thanks a lot for your help!
    regards,
    bright
    Last edited by geoffrey.mcgill; Oct 17, 2011 at 3:34 PM. Reason: please use [CODE] tags
    Hi,

You are dynamically adding a Control on one request, but that Control is not automatically available in future requests, unless re-added to the Controls Collection of the Page.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
    Hi,
    thanks for the very quick response!
    But how do I add a control to the controls collection of a Page? Because when I do
    Page.Controls.Add(linkButton)
    it disappears from the Panel :(

What I do exactly is:
    LOGGER.Debug("Adding Worklist Entries");

Ext.Net.LinkButton linkButton = new Ext.Net.LinkButton();
    			linkButton.Text = "Lieferschein 0815 zu Bearbeiten";
    			linkButton.ID = "Btn1";
    			linkButton.DirectEvents.Click.Url = "~/Sites/Workflow/Lieferschein.aspx";

WorklistPanel.ContentContainer.Controls.Add(linkButton);
    			WorklistPanel.UpdateContent();
    Thanks a lot!
    regards,
    Simon
    Hi,

Using this...

WorklistPanel.ContentContainer.Controls.Add(linkButton);
    ... actually does add the Control to the Pages .Controls Collection. It's handled under-the-covers for you.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
    Ok, that is fine. But somehow I still get this error, that it cannot find the control which I added. I also looked in the ResourceManager string on the site's source, but the button I added is not contained in it.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I add this LinkButton during a DirectEvent Ajax call?
    Thank you very much,
    bright
    Hi,

I figured out a few more things:
    It seems that if I add a Control through an Ajax Event in CodeBehind, it is not permanently added to the page. Which meens pressing reload of the browser makes it disappear again. Is there a possibility to not letting the browser forget the controls on reload?
    Can I add the Control permanently to the page? Which means it will also be included in the ResourceManager and in the ViewState of the page?

Thank you very much,
    bright
    Quote Originally Posted by bright View Post
    Hi,

I figured out a few more things:
    It seems that if I add a Control through an Ajax Event in CodeBehind, it is not permanently added to the page. Which meens pressing reload of the browser makes it disappear again. Is there a possibility to not letting the browser forget the controls on reload?
    Can I add the Control permanently to the page? Which means it will also be included in the ResourceManager and in the ViewState of the page?

Thank you very much,
    bright
    Hello

I am facing the same issue. Conceptually adding/changing controls dynamically is key to my proposed solution. Any answer to this would allow me to progress.

Thanks in advance
    Darren
    I got it to work for me.
    What I do is when I add a control to the page dynamically, I place marker, identifiying the control, in the session. When the page_load is executed on the page I look for this marker and if it is found, I add the control again to the page.

Does this make it clear somehow?
    bright
    Quote Originally Posted by bright View Post
    I got it to work for me.
    What I do is when I add a control to the page dynamically, I place marker, identifiying the control, in the session. When the page_load is executed on the page I look for this marker and if it is found, I add the control again to the page.

Does this make it clear somehow?
    bright
    Hi Bright

Thanks for the reply. After seeing your answer and then digging around a bit further I decided to re-assess my approach. By this I mean using razor as my view engine and avoid the aspx lifecycle thing that is going on. In saying that, I'm still struggling a little with razor and doing things on the client instead, but I think its the correct way forward.

Thanks again
    Darren