EXT.NET & HTML5 Compatibility

EXT.NET & HTML5 Compatibility

Hello,

I am new at this site, and as many other did before, I am now evaluating if Ext.net is a suitable Framework for the web applications we are now focused to develope. It has very much convincing feautres, and very beautiful interfaces for data management. My first big doubt is about compatibility. I read that Ext JS library is using HTML5 for compatible browsers, so It makes me think that it is compatible with mobile devices that uses HTML5 compatible browsers, for example, Iphone, Ipad or mobiles based on Android using Chrome.

But I am now testing the examples with an Iphone, and see altought the pages are displayed, there are much problems to work with them. I read also in this forums some cases having problemas with Ipad, and responses are redirected to a new framework called Sencha Touch.

So it leads me to think that really Ext.net or Ext.js is not really generating HTML5 in mobile browsers. Can we open a discussion on this topic?

Thanks.
    Hi,

At the moment, there are two main issues with rendering Ext.NET apps in a mobile browser (iOS for example) that I know of.

1. There's a vertical/horizontal scrolling defect. To the best of my knowledge, this is related to a defect in Safari.

2. Drag/Drop of Window objects is not currently supported. Same issue is associated to any drag handler (such as Splitter).

As well, whether a component framework "uses" HTML5 (or not), does not necessarily mean it will automatically magically work in HTML5 compatible browsers. There are still defects (both browser and framework related) that will have to be dealt with.

We are working on both the above Ext.NET/ExtJS rendering issues and should be able to implement a fix with the next minor release (v1.3).

The next major release of Ext.NET (v2) will include more HTML5 functionality to optimize size/speed/experience in up-class browsers. Mainly the new Charting Components and some dynamic image generation will take advantage of the HTML5 functionality.

If you'd like to build a Mobile OS specific app, Sencha Touch is purpose built for that scenario.

Hope this helps.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
    My purpose is to build an app valid in both desktop web browser, and mobile browser.

Thanks for the info Geoffrey... During this week I have been making deeper testing, and saw the major issues with the iOs platform. It was issues with scroll and screen redimension.

I tested all mobile browser available in the platform (safari, opera, etc...) and the same problem arise. Also in Mac Osx it works perfectly.

So efectively are issues specific to the iOs Safari version. I wish Apple colud give a solution to this issues. I would like to now if anybody can test it on Chrome mobile version and give feedback.

Thanks.