Installation Problems

Installation Problems

Complete Newbie to Ext.Net having previously only used the vanilla ASP.Net control set. Trouble is I've fallen before even arriving at the first hurdle. I downloaded and expanded the Zip file, then tried to add the controls to a new tab in my Visual Studio Toolbox using the following instructions (taken from the README file).

6. Inside the "Ext.NET" tab, Right-Click and select
    "Choose Items...".

7. Under the ".NET Framework Components" Tab select the "Browse"
    button.

8. Navigate to and select the Ext.Net.dll file, choose open, then
    select the "Ext.NET.dll" from the extracted download .zip package.

When I run instruction 8, I get the error shown in the attached image.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ext.Net install error.JPG 
Views:	118 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	3003

Note: The public key in the error message matches the public key for the VB and C# compilers listed in the Web.Config.

I've had a look around on the web plus the Ext.Net FAQ and have not found anything that has helped me resolve this problem. It doesn't seem to be a problem that generally occurs elsewhere. My colleague has just tried to install it and had exactly the same problem.

My setup: Windows XP(32)/SP3, VS 2008, running on a VMware virtual PC (because my physical PC runs WinXP 64bit which crashes frequently when debugging any ASP.Net project in VS). I created a new dummy project for the purpose of trying Ext.net, this is setup to use v3.5 of the .Net framework.

Hope there is enough info here for someone to help me. Grateful for any help I can get.
    Hi,

Well, the exception says "Not enough rights".

I'd suggest to search this exception on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniil View Post
    Hi,

Well, the exception says "Not enough rights".

I'd suggest to search this exception on the internet.
    Daniil,
    Many thanks for your prompt response. Would you be able to explain a little more to me? You said that the exception says "Not enough rights", but where are you reading this from? The error message I get (as per the image in my last post) says that the assembly types "failed to load", it does not mention anything about not having enough rights. Are you saying that the assembly types failed to load because I don't have enough rights? I am logged on as a user with admin rights.

Thanks again.

Geoff
    Please read about that exception:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ermission.aspx
    Last edited by Daniil; Jul 28, 2011 at 6:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniil View Post
    Daniil,
    Thanks again for your quick response, however I cannot see how the link you provided helps. It describes the AspNetHostingPermission class, it does not mention anything about "Not enough rights" or other possible exceptions (except how to raise one using the "Demand" method). It does say that "By default, the level attribute of the trust configuration element is set to Full. That is, by default, ASP.NET applications run under the Unrestricted level.", which kind of implies that code would have to be executed to reduce the permission level.

Apologies if I am just missing the point here, it seems as if you can clearly see something that utterly eludes me. I am not trying to use or implement the AspNetHostingPermission class myself, I am just trying to install Ext.Net. I have not managed to implement anything at all.

Regards

Geoff
    Well, "not enough rights" was rather a guess when I read "AspNetHostingPermission".

And I gave you that link just as info that can be useful to solve a problem.

Unfortunately, I have never faced with such exception before and I don't know how to solve it.

Probably, a key to solve that problem can be within Visual Studio settings.

Solution

This problem stemmed from the fact that I had the Ext.Net DLLs on a mapped network drive (with my web development source code). For some reason this caused the installation errors and a couple of other problems (e.g. I could not drag windows). Once I moved the DLLs to my development PC's C: drive, everything worked fine.
    Thanks for the update!