Help on Date Column

Help on Date Column

Hi there,

I need help from you guys on following. I got a GridPanel using RowEditor that has Date column/s in it. My application has to comply with localization. In the Date column, I have to display date as a formatted localized value (string) and while editing, I want to use the regular date control (no matter if I have to use English as contol's local) we have in Ext.Net.

I already been trying on this. So far Im able to display the formatted localized Date String (DataIndex="DateOfJoining" in given snippet) but Im stucked on how to display the formatted date after edit. My sample snippet on DateColumn is given below. Any help or example will be truly appreciated.

<ext:Column DataIndex="DateOfJoining" Header="DOJ" Width="80" editable="true">
                                            <Editor>
                                                <ext:DateField runat="server" Format="dd-MM-yyyy">
                                                    <DirectEvents>
                                                        <Blur OnEvent="Date_Changed"/>
                                                    </DirectEvents>
                                                </ext:DateField>
                                            </Editor>
                                        </ext:Column>
    Thanks
    Hi,

If you change your <ext:Column> to an <ext:DateColumn>, you'll have access to the .Format property.

Example

<ext:DateColumn DataIndex="DateOfJoining" Header="DOJ" Width="80" editable="true" Format="dd-MM-yyyy">    <Editor>
            <ext:DateField runat="server" Format="dd-MM-yyyy">
                <DirectEvents>
                    <Blur OnEvent="Date_Changed"/>
                </DirectEvents>
            </ext:DateField>
        </Editor>
    </ext:DateColumn>
    Hope this helps.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
    Hi Geoffrey,

Thanks for your prompt assistance. Well, think I couldn't state my problem clearly, sorry for that. I tried earlier the way you suggested, but it didn't work. It raised an exception for inproper data format. It was obvious. Since The Column's DataIndex (DataIndex="DateOfJoining") is mapped to a String Type object property (<ext:RecordField Name="DateOfJoining" Mapping="StringDateOfJoining" Type="String"/>). This object property actually holds a string of converted datetime to local (bn-IN) language. So when date column was trying to format it (dd-MM-yyyy), it was throwing an exception since it couldn't recognise the value as any valid date.

I need to display the formatted string (localized) of date (it is working now), when editing, I need to use the regular EXT.Net date control (as it is in english, since I can't localize it to bn-IN). It is also done. But After edit, I have to convert the date to local string again and display it and Im stucked on this part.

Please feel free if you require any further clarification. Thanks again.
    You can use column renderer to format display value as required
    Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir View Post
    You can use column renderer to format display value as required
    Thanks Vladimir, but how can I call a serverside method in column renderer rather than calling a javascript function? I have the formatting method in my serverside utility class. Any small example or reference?
    Quote Originally Posted by reezvi View Post
    Thanks Vladimir, but how can I call a serverside method in column renderer rather than calling a javascript function? I have the formatting method in my serverside utility class. Any small example or reference?
    Hi reezvi,

With a Column Renderer a server-side call is not possible. The logic for rendering the column must be created client-side within a JavaScript call.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey.mcgill View Post
    Hi reezvi,

With a Column Renderer a server-side call is not possible. The logic for rendering the column must be created client-side within a JavaScript call.
    Thanks Geoffrey. In that case Im trying to get my requirements done with ColumnRenderer to a JavaScript call. I'll let you know the progress and if the issue can be flagged as Closed. Thanks again.