Tab and Issues

Tab and Issues

Hi all,
    I was trying to do something and it did not quite work out.
    I have an accordion control to my right with some link buttons on it and at the center of the page I have a tab panel. When you click on the link button I want a tab page to be added to the tab panel, this works correctly but it does not autoload the page I specified in the autoload propety of the tab page does not seem to work. But finally when it loaded all the coolite control refused to show. How do I tackle this ?

RE: Tab and Issues

Hi dukefama,

Can you post a code sample demonstrating what you have so far? From there we should be able to troubleshoot further.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

Hi,

I was playing around with TabPanel control and came across what seems to be an obvious problem. If i put a url to an ASP.NET web forms page in a tab's autoLoad property, Ext throws an 'unknown runtime error'. This most likely seems to be because of duplication of server side forms and asp.net specific hidden fields (for maintaing viewstate and other postback related data) on one single page.

I tried placing 'UFrame' (http://www.codeproject.com/KB/aspnet/uframe.aspx) inside the tabs (that i am creating dynamically at the client side) but i'm yet to get it working.

Kindly provide me some suggestions/work-arounds to overcome this problem. Also, i would be interested in knowing if you have any other better approach by which i can structure a moderate sized (if not large) application into different files/pages and be able to serve them all on one page in separate tabs.

Thanks,
    Agha

Okay, i got UFrame working. But i'm afraid i can't really rely on that much. Any other alternative way of solving the problem?

--
    Agha

agha,

do not use the autoload and try setting the html property like:
    Html="<iframe id='Panel1_IFrame' width='100%' height='100%' src='http://www.google.com/' frameborder='0'></iframe>">
    see http://sandbox.ext.net/Panel/IFrameHtml.aspx

jlertle,

Thanks for your solution. This is actually what i ended up with at the end. UFrame (which i mentioned in my earlier posts) was possibly a good alternative because its quite light weight, but the big down side of it is that if the page i'm loading inside the frame is also having Ext widgets (which will be the case most of the times) then i presume there'll be a conflict of widgets initialization as both the parent page and the child page will be using Ext.onReady to initialize the widgets.. This is just my thought, i'm yet to investigate whether this is the real cause of why Uframe was giving me errors.

Coming back to the iframes approach, i must say i'm still looking for a more satisfying solution to the actual issue. IFrames are quite heavy to have on page and if the number of tabs on the page increases, then iframes *might* just slow things down for the user. I looked at the actual Ext API Docs and also at the GWT-Ext demo page, they both are using tabs and seem to be dynamically loading a lot of different pages inside those tabs, and if you look at it using Firebug, you'll see they aren't using any iframes. Is such a thing possible to implement using ASP.NET somehow without using Iframes? I guess not.

--
    Regards,
    Agha

Hi Agha,

Calling the .Load Method and passing in a LoadConfig object might be a good solution for your scenario.

Example

LoadConfig config = new LoadConfig("/your/url.aspx");
    config.Scripts = true;
    this.Tab1.Load(config);
    Setting the .Scripts property to "true" will execute any JavaScript contained on the remote page when loaded.

Hope this helps.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder