Grid Extras

Grid Extras

Geoffrey,

Thanks for the response to this question:

<U>http://forums.ext.net/showthread.php?postid=5085.aspx</U>

I look forward to seeing some more examples on this. The other thing i noticed is that there is no examples that show any of the following (or maybe I'm simply not finding them)

The only reason I'm asking the following is because we do everything in the code behind and all our data pulls, updates or inserts are from the data layer of our apps which work directly with stored procs.

At this time we are using Telerik RAD Control Suite. We have grown unhappy with the preformance of their products although very happy with the functionality they provide as well as ease of use. At this time we are looking for a replacment and found that Coolite is what we think would be a nice fit. As I go through more of your controls I may have more questions. We have on average 16 programmers on staff at any given time and rather then having everyone possibly ask the same questions all questions will come through me. So please forgive me if there seems to be a bit much.

<UL>
    <LI>Paging such as: First Previous ... 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 |7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 ... Next Last</LI>
    <LI> - with 10 displayed numbers in the Paging Display at all times</LI>[/list]

<UL>
    <LI>Code that shows how to update, delete, insert from the code behind via ajax rather then in the markup of the html. </LI>[/list]

<UL>
    <LI>Being able to insert or update from a web user control under the selected record in the grid. So if you click add new then the web user controls appears at the top of the grid and you enter a new record, click save and then the grid shows that record as the selected on in the correct possition in the result set. If they click a record to edit then the web user control shows under the selected record and you edit in the same fassion you added.</LI>[/list]

<UL>
    <LI>Be able to right click on a row and have a menu come up with uptions. For example. Many of our products have notes or comments and we allow users to right click on a row, click Add Note and a message box pops up, the user adds a note and clicks save and the grid refreshes (we have an updated date that displays) and that record is selected.</LI>[/list]

RE: Grid Extras

Hi JsonTerre,

Regarding your last two points... can you point me to any online samples, or provide screen captures demonstrating the functionality you require? or send me an email (geoff [at] coolite [dot] com) if you have a private url.*

There's a lot of flexibility in the framework, but some things are done a bit different than old-school asp.net controls like the telerik suite. Painting a better picture of the required ui would be helpful in envisioning exactly what must be built.*

The first three points are not a problem.*

Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

RE: Grid Extras

I wish I could let you login to see an example. Let me work on some screenshots and email them to you.

Our number one thing is to be able to use 3 tier and never call the db from the UI. We have a BL, DL and SPs rather then making db calls from the UI because we have Web and Windows forms as well web services and windows services that all share the BL and DL. This allows us to make a change in one place every app can benifit from those changes.

I would really like to remove old-school asp.net controls (as you put it very well i must say) from our apps although I am very unfamiliar will Ext JS and it is a bit overwhelming at this point. I'm sure I'll catch on soon enough.

This would be an example of a web usercontol when you click to edit or insert.
    http://demos.telerik.com/aspnet-ajax...DefaultCS.aspx
    The problem is that it takes about way to long to load in a real world example. Everything loads faster in example that use very little data or when the data is being pulled from a source that is local to the app.

Thanks again and I'll try to get those screenshots ASAP.

Jason