[CLOSED] [1.0] Issue when running from server

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

[CLOSED] [1.0] Issue when running from server

I am currently using the preview version of 1.0 in a project that had a few pages built with the 0.7 coolite controls. I updated all of those pages and created a couple of new ones. Everything runs 100% - no errors - from the test server built in to VS2008 - the old pages work, and the new pages work.

I pushed the app to our staging server to begin testing what it would look like in production and ran into two problems that I cannot seem to solve and I have not been able to find solutions for them in the forum. I have already tried CleanResourceUrl both true and false - it makes no difference.

Problem #1: On the new page, none of the postbacks fire. All buttons and grid commands are essentially dead - nothing goes to the server (no trace created). The old/updated pages work for the most part ... they at least fire off all direct events. If I log on directly to the staging server and run the new pages in localhost - the postbacks work.

Problem #2: Both when hitting the stage site remotely, and directly on the server through localhost, a javascript error occurs on every page, especially when mousing over gridpanel rows. The error says "Ext.fly(...) is null or not an object".

Any thoughts on what I might be experiencing?
    Last edited by geoffrey.mcgill; Aug 10, 2010 at 7:49 PM. Reason: [CLOSED]
    Hi jpadgett,

Sounds like an issue with the Web.config. The following wiki article outlines the difference between IIS6 and IIS7, see

http://wiki.ext.net/Web.config

Is the server running IIS6 or IIS7?
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
    IIS6.

My web.config settings seem correct - I initially thought of that as well. Is it okay to have BOTH web config sections added in? I assume IIS6 will just ignore the system.webServer section. I have tried it both ways and it doesn't seem to have an effect.

But the strange thing is, the site mostly works (except for the Ext.fly js error) when hitting it directly on the server. And the older (now converted) pages work. So the web.config would seem to be appropriately setup.
    Yes, you can have both sections in the Web.config. II6 will ignore the IIS7 specific nodes.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
    Any other thoughts as to what could be happening?

Another effect I'm noticing is that the controls react very slow on the server. A postback from a CombBox Select direct event can take 10 to 20 seconds, whereas locally from development server it is 0.5 to 2 seconds.
    Have you tried using fiddler and see if the ExtJS script files and Ext.Net script files are being sent to the client. Also, you can use fiddler to see what kind of response is sent to server when you click a button or grid command.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpadgett View Post
    Another effect I'm noticing is that the controls react very slow on the server.
    How many controls do you have on the page? What is the size of the ViewState being passed to/from the server?

You could also try setting RemoveViewState="true" on the <ext:ResourceManager>. This will completely remove ViewState from your page/html, although might break portions of your application if you are relying on ViewState functionality.

Hope this helps.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
    I hit the pages in Firefox using the Firebug plugin... here are the ext files/sources sent to the client:

<link href="/extjs/resources/css/ext-all-embedded-css/ext.axd?v=34580" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet">
    <script src="/extjs/adapter/ext/ext-base-js/ext.axd?v=34580" type="text/javascript"></script>
    <script src="/extjs/ext-all-js/ext.axd?v=34580" type="text/javascript"></script>
    <script src="/extnet/extnet-core-js/ext.axd?v=34580" type="text/javascript"></script>
    <style type="text/css" id="Ext.net.Notification"> ... </style>
    <style type="text/css" id="Ext.Net.CSS"> ... </style>
    <script src="/extnet/extnet-data-js/ext.axd?v=34580" type="text/javascript"></script>
    <style type="text/css" id="ux.triggerfield_css"> ... </style>
    All of the issues I've described in this post do not happen in Firefox. I'm hitting the server remotely, and all pages work - all listeners and direct events work, postbacks occur, and the pages are fast.

Up to this point I've been using IE 7.0.5730.11 and another tester is using IE 8 (and experiencing the same problems as me). All users in my environment use those two browsers.

Have their been any other issues reported using IE and the 1.0 control suite?
    Last edited by geoffrey.mcgill; Aug 05, 2010 at 6:41 PM. Reason: please use [code] tags
    Quote Originally Posted by jpadgett View Post
    Have their been any other issues reported using IE and the 1.0 control suite?
    Yes, of course. Problems with IE (especially IE7) is an on going issue. There have been some recent reports, although I believe all have been solved.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder
    Hello, jpadgett!

Could you provide us with url of some pages (online sample) that doesn't work as expected?

NOTE: No new information provided. Marked as [CLOSED]
    Last edited by geoffrey.mcgill; Aug 10, 2010 at 7:48 PM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast