PDA

View Full Version : Forum Migration

r_honey
Jul 07, 2010, 6:11 AM
Looks like the long awaited 1.0 release is finally around the corner.

I think the Coolite team has done a tremendous job in migrating forums to vBulletin (from what I believe was a proprietary forum system).

However, one thing I am missing are my forum subscriptions. Just logged into the new forums to notice that all the existing threads are there and almost everything is fine except the Thread notifications (which have all been lost).

Any plans to restore the thread subscriptions somehow? (I can guess this might be time-consuming, but there have been instances where new post notifications on subscribed threads have been useful).

geoffrey.mcgill
Jul 07, 2010, 6:32 AM
Hi Rahul,

Thanks for the comments.

I'm pretty happy with vBulletin and the import process went well.

I'll do some research and see if I can figure out how to get the subscriptions back. I think if you're involved in a thread, you should automatically get an email when a new post is made to that thread, although I'll have to double check.

r_honey
Jul 07, 2010, 6:49 AM
I think if you're involved in a thread, you should automatically get an email when a new post is made to that thread, although I'll have to double check.

Hi Geoff, well what you said was completely true to the thread subscriptions. However, dedicated forum systems like vBulletin or SMF etc., provide users an option of per thread subscription. While creating/replying to a thread, you can choose your subscription mode. Also, you can subscribe to threads without actually being a part of it.

What's more, you can specify your global defaults for subscription in your profile settings:
http://forums.ext.net/profile.php?do=editoptions (The option: default thread subscription mode - you get to override this option per thread also).

r_honey
Jul 07, 2010, 7:01 AM
Also, the forums are a bit sluggish in my opinion. I noticed they are running on Apache 2.0.54/PHP 5.2.6. However, I was not able to figure out Server OS from the Response headers.

Also, for the Rich Text editor, I wonder what's "Wrap PHP tags around selected text" doing above? For ExtJs forums, people post server-side PHP examples, but here on ext.net/coolite, I would be really surprised if someone has ever posted a PHP code sample.

geoffrey.mcgill
Jul 07, 2010, 8:00 AM
The PHP button has been removed.