PDA

View Full Version : Looking for example of treeview with objectdatasource

pkellner
Oct 23, 2008, 12:35 PM
Do you guys have an example of binding a Tree to an ObjectDataSource (or any datasource, but my favorite is ObjectDataSource). That is, I'm hoping to find an example that let's my dynamically populate a treeview as nodes are selected. That is, when the plus key is pressed, retrieve the next level of data and populate it (or read it from a predefined xml file or json structure).

The other piece I'm hoping to find is the ability to edit the name of the node, as well as a telerik like Context menu so when you are on a node you can right mouse button, get a custom menu with entries like "Add,Delete,Rename, etc.".

And, while I'm making my wish list, drag and drop with an associated server side event so the underlying data can be updated on the server when the change happens (with a server side reject in case it is an invalid move).

That all :)

Vladimir
Oct 24, 2008, 6:19 AM
Hi Peter,

The TreePanel is not fully realized.

Full range of opportunities (various DataSources, Drag&Drops, Editing and etc) will be realized soon enough. So I do not think that you will be disappointed

geoffrey.mcgill
Oct 24, 2008, 7:04 AM
Hi Peter,

Thanks for the questions!

We've made the decision to roll out the <ext:TreePanel> in two phases. The initial version of the <ext:TreePanel> is available in SVN right now and will be publicly released soon with v0.7.

We're just building several TreePanel examples and will be comitting to SVN druing the next couple days. The examples will demonstrate:
1. static inline/markup creation
2. dynamic server-side creation
3. popluating nodes with WebServices calls
3. adding Listeners
4. adding AjaxEvents
5. adding ContextMenus
6. customizing Icons, node text, tooltips. 

Drag/Drop between nodes while firing both client-side and server-side events should not be a problem, but I just have to confirm a few things before fully committing to a yes.

Inline node editing may not be available with the initial v0.7 release, but work is not stopping and we will be committing this functionality to SVN shortly. We'll probably publicly release a v0.7 update (v0.7.5?) within a couple weeks which will completely fill out the <ext:TreePanel> functionalty. 

The TreePanel is a complicated control and we figured releasing in two phases would at least get the majority of functionality into developers hands quicker. I'm sure everyone would rather get what they can now, instead of waiting until everything is full vested. 

Another reason we don't want to wait any longer to release v0.7 is that it includes a huge load of new controls (see below) and nice refinements to the AjaxEvent functionality.

<ext:TreePanel>
<ext:Menu>
<ext:SplitButton>
<ext:CycleButton>
<ext:ColorPalette>
<ext:ProgressBar>
<ext:StatusBar>

Summary: Building your full scenario is not going to be a problem, although it might just take a bit more time until we roll out 100% of the functionality. We're about 80% there right now.

I'd also be more than happy to build a custom example demonstrating your full scenario. This could be added to the explorer. 

I hope this helps answer some of your questions.

pkellner
Oct 24, 2008, 12:13 PM
thanks. I'll keep an eye on svn