PDA

View Full Version : Styling the UI

LucJ
Dec 08, 2009, 8:00 PM
Hello Guys,

I would like to know what the purpose & limitations are of coolite, the product.
Is it only supposed to be used as a clean interface for data input type of applications ?
Can it be used to create general web sites for a consumer public supporting any type of look & feel ?

For example... The Coolite web site itself. Can & should it be made using the Coolite library ? Why or why not ?

Kind regards,
Luc

geoffrey.mcgill
Dec 09, 2009, 1:40 AM
Hi Luc,

Is it only supposed to be used as a clean interface for data input type of applications ?

The strength of the library is in creating web based data management applications. Think WinForms (or, oldskool vb forms), but for the web.

If your project is called "_________ Management System" (*fill in the blank), this Toolkit was made for you.

Can it be used to create general web sites for a consumer public supporting any type of look & feel ?

Yes, the library certainly could be used for a public facing "brochure-ware" corporate website... although it would depend on your requirements. For me, I'm generally trying to keep the public side as lite as possible, which means minimal JavaScript, sticking to raw html+css and simple html forms.

For example... The Coolite web site itself. Can & should it be made using the library ? Why or why not ?

I would not make the website with the Toolkit. It's just not the right tool for that job. See comments above. html+css is your friend. Of course, everyones scenario is different.

If you're building a public website and need to sprinkle in a little JavaScript sugar for animations, effects, ux, etc... I'd recommend either jQuery (http://www.jquery.com/) or Ext Core (http://www.extjs.com/products/extcore/). Both are light-weight JavaScript frameworks and would be better suited.

Hope this helps. Thanks for posting the question!

LucJ
Dec 09, 2009, 4:52 AM
Hello Geoffrey,

Thank you for the answers to my questions.... to the point !

Luc