PDA

View Full Version : Licensing when working as an agent of a company or organization...

drakaan
Jul 15, 2009, 5:38 PM
I am employed primarily by a consulting firm, and work daily with a number of clients. Typically, they provide me with a computer to work on and the necessary tools (Visual Studio, SQL Server Management Studio, etc) to do development work.

If I am developing software as an agent of that company as part of my routine duties (i.e., not on a billed project) that will only be used within that company, and not by anyone else, do I need to have my primary employer purchase a commercial license, or can I use the community license?

geoffrey.mcgill
Jul 17, 2009, 5:16 PM
Hi drakaan,

I think you're good to go if you choose to develop under the Community License

As long on as the software is developed "on-site" within the Organization and only accessible by members of that Organization, there is no distribution involved.

Here's a couple of reference points:

1. License Summary, http://www.ext.net/license/

2. Internal Distribution, http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#InternalDistribution

However, when the organization transfers copies to other organizations
or individuals, that is distribution. In particular, providing copies
to contractors for use off-site is distribution.

Hope this helps.

drakaan
Jul 17, 2009, 10:41 PM
That does help. My main confusion point was whether it qualified as "transfer to another organization", since the people who sign my paycheck are not the users of the app (even thought I wrote it for them on their equipment).

geoffrey.mcgill
Jul 21, 2009, 12:03 AM
drakaan (7/17/2009) That does help. My main confusion point was whether it qualified as "transfer to another organization", since the people who sign my paycheck are not the users of the app (even thought I wrote it for them on their equipment).

hmm. That's a little confusion. Maybe you could provide a more detailed description/outline of the relationships of the parties involved.

drakaan
Aug 21, 2009, 1:58 PM
geoffrey.mcgill (7/20/2009)
drakaan (7/17/2009) That does help. My main confusion point was whether it qualified as "transfer to another organization", since the people who sign my paycheck are not the users of the app (even thought I wrote it for them on their equipment).

hmm. That's a little confusion. Maybe you could provide a more detailed description/outline of the relationships of the parties involved.

I work for a consulting company and managed services provider (monitoring, server support, etc). They pay me directly (a salary) as one of a small number of developers. We fulfill contracts for permanent clients using software and development systems that they provide (we're basically a complete outsourced IT solution).

In this case, I'm looking at a number of small web apps that the client organization would only use internally.

...and let me just add that I fully expect that we'll be buying a few licenses in the future anyway so that we *can* build public-facing apps using coolite. This is just in reference to a couple of internal-only (client-site) web apps.