PDA

View Full Version : UpdatePanel

Timothy
Sep 09, 2008, 7:15 AM
Hello,

Just checking what the status of the UpdatePanel work is? I know it's more involved, but hoping it makes it before preview ;)

Cheers,
Timothy

Timothy
Sep 11, 2008, 11:19 AM
No updates? :(

Cheers,
Timothy

geoffrey.mcgill
Sep 11, 2008, 12:27 PM
The UpdatePanel support is still being worked on. I'll update this thread when new code is available to test, which will be Sunday PM at the latest. 

Timothy
Sep 12, 2008, 1:10 PM
I'm going to hold you to that time line! :)

Just kidding, let me know when completed, would be appreciated.

Geoffrey, would you be able to help me with some problems with this forum? I don't want to have to post about forum problems, perhaps email?

Cheers,
Timothy

Timothy
Sep 15, 2008, 7:45 AM
Hello Geoffrey,

How is this one working out?

Cheers,
Timothy

geoffrey.mcgill
Sep 15, 2008, 8:02 AM
I got part way through and discovered a show stopper. I'm working on it right now. This is still my abosolute #1 priority, but for the last 48 hours it's been 2 steps forward and 1 step back.

Timothy
Sep 16, 2008, 9:01 AM
No problem Geoffrey, I know you got lots on your plate, I'm not making it any easier :)

I'll buy you a beer when you get this one sorted out!

Cheers,
Timothy

Timothy
Sep 18, 2008, 12:58 PM
Your beer is getting warm ;) How's this one going?

Cheers,
Timothy

geoffrey.mcgill
Sep 26, 2008, 1:13 PM
Hi Timothy, et al.

Some revisions to the Coolite Toolkit UpdatePanel support is starting to roll into SVN.

Please test if you have an opportunity.

There's still a problem if the UpdatePanels .Update() Method is called server-side.

Calling .Update() sets a private boolean field within the UpdatePanel to instruct an UpdatePanel, that would not have otherwise updated it's content, to switch gears and update it's content. This boolean flag is not accessible outside the UpdatePanel and there's appears to be no other way to determine if .Update() has been called until after the UpdatePanel renders... which I think is too late (or too messy) for us to deal with.

I have a simple idea on how to work-around, although it might involve the developer having to explicitly call a Method on the <ext:ScriptManager> and pass in the UpdatePanel whos .Update() method is being called on. Hope that makes sense.

The *really* disappointing thing is that there's several helpful Properties/Methods within the UpdatePanel that would have made our job much easier and less resource intensive, but they're all either marked as Private, Protected or Internal ... and ... there appears to be no reason to do so. I'm not entirely sure why a read-only property such as "RequiresUpdate" needs to be marked as "protected internal virtual". Why not "public virtual" Mr. Microsoft? I digress.

If you find scenarios where the Toolkit controls are failing with UpdatePanels, please create a new forum topic and include the most simplified code sample reproducing the problem as you can, and I will test and attempt to fix immediately.

I'm going back through the forums and testing existing code sample.

I should have another update shortly.

Hope this helps.

Timothy
Sep 26, 2008, 2:53 PM
Awesome news, I will not be able to fully give it a good testing until Sunday.

Cheers,
Timothy

geoffrey.mcgill
Sep 26, 2008, 6:43 PM
I have been unable to find a workaround to automatically handle our control re-creation when the wrapping <asp:UpdatePanel> has it's .Update() Method explicitly called in code-behind.

So, I had to add a new .AddUpdatePanelToRefresh() Method on the <ext:ScriptManager> which needs to be called when an UpdatePanel's .Update() Method is called. The AddUpdatePanelToRefresh Method must be passed a reference to the "updating" UpdatePanel.

The following code sample demonstrates.

Example

<script runat="server">
protected void Button1_Click(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
this.UpdatePanel1.Update();
this.ScriptManager1.AddUpdatePanelToRefresh(this.U pdatePanel1);
}
</script>
The <ext:ScriptManager> AddUpdatePanelToRefresh Method must be called if the UpdatePanel contains any Coolite Toolkit controls or the controls will not render during the response.

As a general rule, just make a call to .AddUpdatePanelToRefresh() immediately after .Update().

I hope this simple method call is an acceptable solution.

geoffrey.mcgill
Oct 02, 2008, 1:53 PM
Version 0.6 has been released (http://www.ext.net/download/) which includes better support the <asp:UpdatePanel>.

There may still be some lurking issues when using adding AsyncPostBackTrigger. Please let us know if you run into any weirdness. We are continuing to work on the UpdatePanel logic within the Toolkit.

Timothy
Oct 02, 2008, 3:02 PM
OK, I'll give it a go and see what I come up with.

My setup works similar to how Dave.Sanders has discussed here (http://forums.ext.net/showthread.php?threadid=2286-16-1.aspx), I've done this before (without ExtJS) and I've never had memory consumption issues.

p.s your ninja avatar was better ;)

Cheers,
Timothy

geoffrey.mcgill
Oct 03, 2008, 8:32 AM
I'm moving this thread to the "Open Discussions (http://forums.ext.net/forumdisplay.php?forumid=7-1.aspx)" forum.

I might ever be able to mark this one as [CLOSED]. <-- Note to self: implement [sarcasm] tag.

Timothy
Oct 03, 2008, 9:36 AM
geoffrey.mcgill (10/3/2008)

I'm moving this thread to the "Open Discussions (http://forums.ext.net/forumdisplay.php?forumid=7-1.aspx)" forum.

I might ever be able to mark this one as [CLOSED]. <-- Note to self: implement [sarcasm] tag.
</p>

The time will one day come where I will stop bugging you about the UpdatePanel ;)

Cheers,
Timothy

arhoads76
Nov 19, 2008, 7:48 PM
Looking at the history on this discussion it appears this is a very involved request, but I thought I'd add my vote for the functionality as well.

I'm doing a Border Layout and want to replace my main content area with various screens, but certainly don't want to have all the logic in one page. And I get grief from my friends when I start to suggest IFrames. "That is SO 90's" they say. I guess I could just ignore them, but does seem like IFrame use has diminished in preference to replacing divs.

So, anyway, I'm interested too when it becomes available. (Dang! Maybe I _should_ have gotten the premium support package! I'm sure this will only be in SVN at first.)

Aaron

Timothy
Nov 20, 2008, 8:11 AM
Hello, I'm also against iframes but I've come up with a good solution form my project to use the Ext:Panel AutoLoadIFrame to load an internal page that feeds my content in the center region. And no complaints, using ManagedIFrames from ExtJS user extensions has made it easy to communicate back and forth :)

ExtJS and Coolite handle IFrames quite well.

Cheers,
Timothy

geoffrey.mcgill
Feb 05, 2010, 11:05 PM
If anyone finds this thread, you might also be interested in the following, see http://forums.ext.net/showthread.php?threadid=27096-4-1.aspx

jchau
Feb 10, 2010, 12:46 PM
Jumping into the iframe discussion...

While I also dislike iframes, wrapping a huge portion of the page in an UpdatePanel is even worst. UpdatePanel is just evil to begin with, and I dislike that even more than iframes.

Timothy
Feb 10, 2010, 5:33 PM
jchau (2/10/2010)Jumping into the iframe discussion...

While I also dislike iframes, wrapping a huge portion of the page in an UpdatePanel is even worst. UpdatePanel is just evil to begin with, and I dislike that even more than iframes.

Once the MVC functionality is prime time in Ext.Net good bye iframe and Microsoft Ajax :)

Cheers,
Timothy

vali1993
Feb 11, 2010, 10:23 AM
Could someone educate me a little about why using iframe is not idea? if not using iframe, when the situation like you open many many tabs, how do you handle each tab individually instead of wrapping everything in one huge file? Thank you for your help.