PDA

View Full Version : this.el is null, caused by <form runat=“server”>



EugeneNiemand
Mar 11, 2011, 8:00 AM
Original Post: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5270805/this-el-is-null-caused-by-form-runat-server
Ok I'm stumped, I have a good 10 other pages all using the same layout etc all working fine, but I created a new page and cannot get it to work.

I have noticed what is causing the error but I dont know why or how to fix it. Have a look at the code below,

Its a form with runat server, Ext.Net Resource Manager, Viewport, Tab Panel and 2 Panels, no code behind.

When I load this i get the dreaded this.el is null in Firefox and Uncaught TypeError: Cannot set property 'setSize' of null in Chrome. But alas I remove the form tag and everything works as it should. Now you might say well just remove the form tag, but I cant will add asp.net controls later that needs this tag.

ASPX

<%@ Page Language="C#" AutoEventWireup="true" CodeFile="PriceSetting.aspx.cs" Inherits="V2_RenewalsProcess_PriceSetting" %>

<%@ Register Assembly="Ext.Net" Namespace="Ext.Net" TagPrefix="ext" %>
<DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head runat="server">
<title>Ovott V2</title>
</head>
<body>
<form id="pricesetting" runat="server">
<ext:ResourceManager ID="ResourceManager1" runat="server" />
<ext:Viewport ID="Viewport1" runat="server" Layout="border">
<Items>
<ext:TabPanel ID="TabPanel1" runat="server" Region="Center">
<Items>
<ext:Panel ID="Panel5" runat="server" Title="To Be Submitted" Border="false">
</ext:Panel>
<ext:Panel ID="Panel6" runat="server" Title="Awaiting Approval">
</ext:Panel>
</Items>
</ext:TabPanel>
</Items>
</ext:Viewport>
</form>
</body>
</html>

wazige
Mar 11, 2011, 8:23 AM
I couldn't reproduce the error. What version of ExtNet are you using? Also, are you sure there isn't something in the code behind that might be messing things up?

EugeneNiemand
Mar 11, 2011, 8:34 AM
I Just downloaded the current community version off Ext.Net website tested it again and the same thing is happening. There is no code behind at the moment.

EugeneNiemand
Mar 11, 2011, 9:07 AM
OK finally with the help of my colleague we solved this and it all came down to one character... a "!" and you might ask where?

Original Code

<DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "...

Fixed Code

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "...

Now it is working

geoffrey.mcgill
Mar 11, 2011, 12:30 PM
Yes, the '!' is required for a valid DOCTYPE. More information re: DOCTYPE's available from the following location, see

http://www.w3schools.com/xhtml/xhtml_dtd.asp

EugeneNiemand
Mar 11, 2011, 1:36 PM
Yes, the '!' is required for a valid DOCTYPE. More information re: DOCTYPE's available from the following location, see

http://www.w3schools.com/xhtml/xhtml_dtd.asp

I know that, but this was caused by some botched copy and paste effort by myself and I missed it. It is strange though that neither Visual Studio nor the browser complained about the invalid tag/declaration. It rendered regardless of the "!" but as soon as I added runat="server" it started giving Javascript errors that sent me on a wild goose chase.

geoffrey.mcgill
Mar 11, 2011, 1:49 PM
I know that, but this was caused by some botched copy and paste effort by myself and I missed it. It is strange though that neither Visual Studio nor the browser complained about the invalid tag/declaration. It rendered regardless of the "!" but as soon as I added runat="server" it started giving Javascript errors that sent me on a wild goose chase.

The browser probably just switched into Quirks Mode with no/improper DOCTYPE.