Desktop Shortcut Icons won't show on Internet Explorer

Desktop Shortcut Icons won't show on Internet Explorer

Desktop Shortcut Icons are shown and working correctly on those browsers : Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Nestcape, Opera, K-Meleon, SeaMonkey

Desktop Shortcut Icons are not working on IE8.

Here is a simple code test that i placed on a single asp.net page :

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    <head runat="server">
        <title>Test - Desktop</title>    

<style type="text/css">        

.shortcut-icon {
                width: 48px;
                height: 48px;
                filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(src="/Images/desktop.jpg", sizingMethod="scale");
            }

.icon-alarm48 {
                background-image: url(/Images/alarmclock.ico) !important;
                filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(src='/Images/alarmclock.ico', sizingMethod='scale');            
            }

</style>
    </head>
    <body>
        <form id="form1" runat="server">
        <ext:ResourceManager ID="ResourceManager1" runat="server" CleanResourceUrl = "false">
        </ext:ResourceManager>
        <ext:Desktop 
            ID="Desktop1" 
            runat="server"
            BackgroundColor="Black" 
            ShortcutTextColor="White" 
            Wallpaper="/Images/desktop.jpg">

<Modules>
                <ext:DesktopModule ModuleID="DesktopModule1" AutoRun="true">

</ext:DesktopModule>                            
            </Modules>

<Shortcuts>
                <ext:DesktopShortcut ModuleID="DesktopModule1" Text="Alarm" IconCls="shortcut-icon icon-alarm48" />            
            </Shortcuts>
        </ext:Desktop>

</form>
    </body>
    </html>
    Thank you
    Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IE8.JPG 
Views:	250 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	4873   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FF.JPG 
Views:	242 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	4874  
    Last edited by geoffrey.mcgill; Oct 02, 2012 at 9:18 PM. Reason: please use [CODE] tags
    I'm not really sure what would be going wrong in your sample, but I can make a few suggestions:

1. Your icon images should either be .png or .gif's. I would not expect .ico files to work that well, and .jpg's should be avoided.

2. The following sample in the Examples Explorer demonstrates the .css for several Desktop Icons, see

https://examples2.ext.net/#/Desktop/...tion/Overview/

3. The problem is almost certainly caused by a css misconfiguration, wrong file path, incompatible file type, or all of the above.

Hope this helps.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

Need to find out what occurs this problem with IE8

Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey.mcgill View Post
    I'm not really sure what would be going wrong in your sample, but I can make a few suggestions:

1. Your icon images should either be .png or .gif's. I would not expect .ico files to work that well, and .jpg's should be avoided.

2. The following sample in the Examples Explorer demonstrates the .css for several Desktop Icons, see

https://examples2.ext.net/#/Desktop/...tion/Overview/

3. The problem is almost certainly caused by a css misconfiguration, wrong file path, incompatible file type, or all of the above.

Hope this helps.

#1 - PNG or GIF are not working either

#2 - The Desktop example on your website (version 2.0 or 1.5) is working correctly with IE8

#3 - I can't find the css part that is solving the problem

Before bying the commercial version for further development, i have to make a little project and showing it to the company owner. So i really need to find out what is the problem with IE8 to make sure we are going to make a good move with this technology.

Thank you for your time
    Quote Originally Posted by domgoudreault View Post
    #2 - The Desktop example on your website (version 2.0 or 1.5) is working correctly with IE8
    If the sample in the Examples Explorer is working, my best advice would be to use that as a starting position and build up from there. As with all samples in the Examples Explorer, the complete source for each sample is available by clicking the "Source Code" button.

The complete source code for the whole Examples Explorer project is available in the download package and GitHub. More information available from the download page, see http://ext.net/download/.

Before bying the commercial version for further development, i have to make a little project and showing it to the company owner. So i really need to find out what is the problem with IE8 to make sure we are going to make a good move with this technology.
    ok. Sounds like a good plan.
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

Did'nt found a solution for IE8

Quote Originally Posted by geoffrey.mcgill View Post
    If the sample in the Examples Explorer is working, my best advice would be to use that as a starting position and build up from there. As with all samples in the Examples Explorer, the complete source for each sample is available by clicking the "Source Code" button.

The complete source code for the whole Examples Explorer project is available in the download package and GitHub. More information available from the download page, see http://ext.net/download/.

ok. Sounds like a good plan.

Sorry Geoffrey, i've downloaded the examples source code and have opened the projet with VS2010. I can't find the answer to my question.
    i've tried a lot of css. nothing works.
    i've tried loading a desktop page in a tabpanel. The icon does not appear.

Can you try to make it work please, so i will be able to make my presentation to the owner's. I would really like to integrate this new technology to this company. Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by domgoudreault View Post
    Can you try to make it work please, so i will be able to make my presentation to the owner's. I would really like to integrate this new technology to this company. Thank you
    Can I try to make what work? Are you saying the Examples Explorer does not work correctly? What exactly would you like me to fix?
    Geoffrey McGill
    Founder

It finally worked

I found out that the line

filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader (src='/Images/alarmclock.ico'

needs no slash, a double quote and a png extension (filter: progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader (src="Images/alarmclock.png")

in otherway, this function from microsoft is working for .png files but not for .ico files. IE is showing them at the top left of the container and behind the desktop wallpaper. Not really surprise that the only brower who's doing this is IE. +++ .ico files are the most common for microsoft Operating System and they didn't think that it would be proper to use it in IE ?????? wow.

all those browsers : Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Nestcape, Opera, K-Meleon, SeaMonkey are capable of displaying a .ico file... :)

Thank you for your time Geoffrey.

By the way, we are using a Ubuntu server with mono 2.10.8 with apache2 for our intranet web site. The version 1.5 is working great on it.

But the version 2.0 of your Ext.Net is using MVC3 and is not working on mono 2.10.8. I tried to to compile and use version 2.11.4 of mono and i nerver figured out why it was not working. So we'll have to wait to use 2.0 controls.

Thank you